- This project represented the first evaluation of a PhosphoReduc System used for phosphorus and total suspended solids reduction from sewage wastewater.
- The system was added as secondary treatment stage to an existing wastewater treatment facility which consisted of a oil and grease separation system with aeration. It was located in Southern Taiwan.
- Influent originated from the student dormitories (capacity +/- 200 students), and consisted of domestic wastewater without cooking facilities.
The PhosphoReduc Filter system was put in operation in August 2010. The System was designed around existing structures and site constraints. The PhosphoReduc system consisted of three trains and each train had two filters connected in series to accommodate maximum daily flow of 11,000 gallons (40 m3).
- Four different modes of operation were tested during the 223 day monitoring period. Influent characteristics were: average BOD5 15.6 mg/L, total suspended solids (TSS) 340 mg/L, total phosphorus (TP) 4.20 mg/L and dissolved phosphorus 2.7 mg/L.
- The average treatment efficiency during the entire period of investigation was 94.9% (TSS), 98.1% (TP) and 99.2% (PO4-P). TP discharge concentration averaged 0.05 mg/L while dissolved P was 0.02 mg/L.